As Building Roots enters its 10th year operating in the Downtown East communities of Toronto, we are looking for new board members to join us in January 2023. We are searching for passionate individuals interested in working with our organization on supporting our community-centered programs and services.
As a Board member with Building Roots, you will be working with a dynamic, engaged team of dedicated staff and volunteers. Since 2013, we’ve had a vision of vibrant, resilient neighborhoods. This vision has helped us co-create innovative projects providing fresh food access, meaningful engagement, and the transformation of communities.The community we work with is comprised primarily of folks who are deeply impacted by poverty, food insecurity, and associated social determinants of health. We work with Black folks, Indigenous peoples, People of Colour, seniors, folks living in isolation and people with accessibility barriers to accessing food and other programming. Through our programming, advocacy, and outreach, we partner with the community through a 360 degree community-based approach, centering around community voices, skills, and capacities. While the core of our programming is for folks from marginalized backgrounds, we recognize and encourage anybody and everybody to participate.
Here’s a glimpse at what we’re looking for in a board member:
- Prepare for, attend, and contribute skills and knowledge by actively participating in meetings and committee work. Board meetings occur once a month.
- An interest in volunteering for events at our market, community gardens, or community programs. We are looking for board members who want to be involved!
- Understand and demonstrate a commitment to the organization’s mission and strategic direction.
- Serve as active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and fully engage in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for Building Roots to advance its mission.
- Leverage connections, networks, and resources to develop collective action to fully achieve Building Root’s mission.
- Help identify personal connections that can benefit the organization’s fundraising and reputational standing, and can influence public policy.
- We are particularly looking for folks with a background in one or more of the following: HR; PR/Communications; Finance/Accounting; Diversity, Equity & Inclusion specialist; Community Building; Governance; Government Relations.
If you’re interested in applying, please fill out an application form here.