Job Posting: Director of Development & Communications
Location: Remote with occasional on-site activities in east end Toronto
Employment Type: Full Time, 32 hours (4-day) work week
Salary: $60,000 + immediate benefits
Closing date: January 20th, 2022
About Building Roots:
Building Roots delivers programming in food security, urban farming, community leadership, creative projects, and other initiatives in Moss Park and neighbouring communities, with the goal of enabling socially cohesive communities. Visit our website and social media to learn more.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development & Communications will be responsible for leading all fundraising and marketing efforts, including creating annual fundraising and marketing strategic plans, setting goals and being accountable for achieving desired outcomes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
As part of our energetic and engaged team, you will be accountable for:
- Plan, develop, execute and evaluate all aspects of a comprehensive fund development program including foundations, corporations, individual giving, planning giving, etc
- Writing grant applications for various types of funders in collaboration with team members
- Establish, coordinate, and manage strategic fundraising plans including measurable goals, and monitor the schedule of activities and associated budgets with an emphasis on increased and sustained revenue.
- Foster the growth of best practices in gift processing, data management and donor communications, following CRA guidelines for gift acceptance, accounting, acknowledgement and donor management. This includes overseeing a new CRM implementation.
- Establish and maintain strategic relationships with donors, volunteers and community members. Will be required to personally solicit larger individual donor donations.
- Management of CanadaHelps account, including utilizing tools to maximize CH channel effectiveness
- As an organization we are committed to community centric fundraising, and this role will be the lead in executing fundraising as a tool to uplift, build capacity, and ensure that our funding aligns with the greatest impact we can make at the community level.
Marketing Communications: 40%
- Work collaboratively with staff to develop partnerships that increase brand recognition, digital and social media reach, thought leadership profile and donor and volunteer engagement
- Responsible for the social media strategy including IG, FB, twitter and an expansion into TikTok.
- Manage all e-mail marketing including content, design, strategy and execution.
- Responsible for the overall tone and language style for the organization, and also ensuring that tone and style is reflected in all our communications and digital platforms.
- Photography and short videos for web and social media content
- Manage the Building Roots website content, including sourcing content and writing blog posts
- Manage media and public relations
- Offer innovative marketing and social media ideas that support our strategic plans and goals
Relevant qualifications, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 2 years of a successful track record as a non profit fundraising generalist
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in non profit marketing functions including e-mail marketing, social media, and communications
- Familiarity with door fundraising databases
- Ability to write effective proposals and communication pieces for qualified prospects and existing donors with a track record in personally soliciting and closing gifts in the $5K to $100K+ range
- Demonstrated experience and success with social media growth, reach and campaigns.
- Strong project coordination and issue management skills. Ability to effectively manage multiple projects, deadlines and priorities.
- Demonstrate a collaborative leadership approach that promotes an organizational culture that places value on the contributions and insights of all members of the team.
- Creative and critical thinker, constantly searching for ways to improve engagement and impact
- Ability to work proactively independently, as well as part of a team
- Proficiency with Google Suite, WordPress and Mail Chimp.
- Sound knowledge of the Canadian not-for-profit sector and a social justice orientation
- Ability to work occasional Saturdays as needed
- Fluency in English is required; familiarity or fluency in French or other languages is an asset.
- Lived experience of the intersecting challenges that our communities face is an asset
- CFRE or other forms of fundraising and / or marketing certifications are an asset
What we offer:
- Four day(32 hour) work weeks
- Extended health benefits that commence on date of hire
- Progressive and flexible vacation time and sick day policies
- Paid Professional Development opportunities
- As an organization we value autonomy in your schedule and recognize that the daily demands of our lives can require flexibility. We are open to a variety of schedule options, and encourage those with non traditional scheduling needs to apply.
Please submit your resume as well as a cover letter indicating why you think you would be a good fit for this role to email@example.com. Your application will not be considered without a cover letter. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
Building Roots is actively working to hire, and meaningfully engage with, and include guidance and input from, LGBTQIA2+, Black, Indigenous and any BIPOC humans in ways that are central to intersectionality. Our organization explicitly supports and promotes indigenous resilience, anti-racist principles, equity, diversity & representation within our workplaces and programs.
We encourage applications from all kinds of humans & are committed to an equitable hiring process. If you feel you need accommodation because of illness, disability, please do not hesitate to contact us with your accommodation requests at firstname.lastname@example.org or 647-478-7736.
Please note that only candidates selected to move forward in the hiring process will be contacted.